Dear Readers

I remember moments.....

Some of the entry may contain academic articles ... and if you are interested in copying or using the articles in this blog, please acknowledge the writer. Thanks so much...... ymrk...since...2007

Klik Jom!

Friday 6 November 2009

Teknik Pernafasan dalam Terapi Psikologi Asas

Breathing delivers many of the benefits of exercise, including facilitating weight loss, reducing stress, keeping the mind alert and conscious. Though breathing is not a substitute for exercise, it’s a great first step for all of us just beginning an exercise plan, and deep breathing enhances the benefits of any form of exercise.
And I just came back from visiting an uncel who has his own belief / ideology on fighting cancer. Literally, or spiritually its good, but scientifically its a big m**st**e. If we look into the psychological perspective perhaps he is in the stage of d*n**. Its normal and usually ends up to 6-12 months. If the patient gets enough group support, the d*n** stage could be less - 3 months or even 3 week or may be (unlikely) 3 days.
Normally what happen is that after an initial shock has worn off, patient will go to the stage where usually one of classic d*n**. It is when patient pretends that the news has not been given.
He/she effectively close their eyes to any evidence and pretend that nothing has happened.
Typically, the patient will continue his/her life as if nothing has happened. In the workplace, patient will carry on doing job even if that job is no longer required. From my observation, this is what my uncle is doing all years.

A classic behavior here is a 'flight into health', where previously-perceived problems are suddenly seen as having miraculously fixed themselves.
I had few clients who faced the same issues in life. In the treatment plan I created for my client is to move the client out of denial by deliberately provoking them to anger. Hold up the future (sympathetically) so they cannot avoid or deny it. Tell them that it is not fair. Show anger yourself (thus legitimizing that they get angry). This is what we call "provoking ideas" or "confrontation" in therapy/counseling.

But again, I cant offer myself to involve in family issues - afraid if there is 'countertransference' between my uncle and myself. Who knows kan? But we all pray for him, his choice and his will.
But most of all dear readers, these are some slides I share with my clients - breathing technique that could help individuals fighting against irrational beliefs.

















No comments:

Post a Comment